Toxicology has a broad remit and encompasses a range of sub-specialities and individual interests across the membership of the British Toxicology Society (BTS). A major expectation of many members of the BTS is for the Society to keep them up to date with developments in their respective toxicological field and to allow a forum for discussion and networking around their professional interests. To facilitate and address this, the BTS Scientific Sub-committee (SSC) endorses and supports a number of speciality selections (identified below). The purpose of these speciality sections is to encourage networking, discussion and professional representation both within the BTS and the wider toxicology community. Each Speciality Section has a Co-ordinator who represents the Section on the Scientific Subcommittee (SSC).
In particular the speciality sections:
- Promote and facilitate networking, discussion, communication, collaboration and support amongst BTS members across their specialist area.
- Identify and propose areas of current interest for their respective membership to the SSC through identification of suitable topics and contributors for symposia at the annual congress.
- Provide representation across their interest area within the BTS scientific and professional activities.
- Identify and promote opportunities for webinars, satellite meetings, and professional development events, with an expectation of at least one proposed webinar/meeting per year submitted to the SSC from each speciality section.
- Uphold the scientific quality of any BTS events relating to their specific speciality and activity.
- Interact with other learned societies, professional bodies and stakeholders in their speciality, on behalf of the BTS
- Provide representation (when requested by BTS executive) for media enquiries and consultations aligned to their specialist areas.
- Provide the SSC with a regular update on the activities, challenges and successes of their section in February each year, for inclusion in the annual SSC report to the BTS Executive Committee.
The current Speciality Sections are: